Research, Education & Innovation Summit
Celebrating CMI Members’ 2023 Accomplishments
Please join us to celebrate our members’ accomplishments and to learn about exciting new opportunities for the CMI. The 2024 Ideation Award selections will also be announced at the start of the day.
Thursday, August 17, 2023, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
McKimmon Conference & Training Center 1101 Gorman St. Raleigh, NC 29695
8:00-8:30 Coffee, Sign-in & poster setup
8:30-8:45 Welcome, Ideation Awards Announcement – Jorge Piedrahita (CVM) & Joshua Pierce (COS)
8:45-9:15 Introduction to Event & Announcements – Rob Dunn, Sr. Vice Provost for University Interdisciplinary Programs
9:15-9:45 Division Focus–Chemistry of Life
- 9:15 CLP Overview – Yevgeny Brudno (COE) & Melanie Simpson (CALS)
- 9:20 Faculty Presentation – Xiaojing Liu (CALS): Employing high resolution mass spectrometry-assisted multi omics approaches to identify metformin target
- 9:30 Faculty Presentation – Balaji Rao (COE): Yeast surface display platforms for design and quantitative measurement of protein-protein interactions
9:45-10:15 Division Focus– Functional Tissue Engineering
- 9:45 FTE Overview – Lauren Schnabel (CVM) & Rohan Shirwaiker (COE)
- 9:50 Faculty Presentation – Matthew Fisher (COE): Using Team Science to Study Musculoskeletal Tissue Engineering
- 10:00 Associate Member Presentation – Adele Moatti (Greenbaum Lab): Porcine model to the rescue! Overcoming hurdles to translation of new treatments for hearing disorders
- 10:15 The yearly cycle of CATALYZE programs – Thomas Theis (COS)
- 10:25 The CATALYZE student competition – Megan Pike (Theis Lab)
- 10:30 Research Commercialization at NC State – Kultaran Chohan (ORC)
10:50-11:30 Poster Session Group 1
11:30-12:15 Keynote: Guidance for Development of Program Project Grants – Mark Dewhirst, DVM Ph.D. Gustavo S. Montana Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Radiation Oncology & Associate Dean for Faculty Mentoring, Duke University School of Medicine
12:15-1:15 Lunch — Please use the link below to sign up if you would like to continue the program projects discussion with Dr. Dewhirst over lunch
1:15-1:45 Division Focus–Emerging & Infectious Diseases
- 1:15 EID overview – Frank Scholle (COS) & Cristina Lanzas (CVM)
- 1:25 Faculty Presentation – Michael Rahe (CVM): Porcine astrovirus 4 associated with respiratory disease in piglets
- 1:35 Associate Member Presentation – Manuel Jara (Lanzas Lab): Pangenome-GWAS analysis of Clostridioides difficile: identifying selection pressures in healthcare and beyond
1:45-2:15 Division Focus–Translational Pharmacology & Physiology
- 1:45 TPP Overview – Santosh Mishra (CVM) & Michael Nolan (CVM)
- 1:55Associate Member presentations
- Ankita Gupta (Lascelles/Mishra Labs): Osteoarthritis Research in Sled Dogs (Vaika Foundation at Cornell University)
- Madelyn VanBlunk (Brudno Lab): Stereotaxic Surgery in Laboratory Mice (Jackson Laboratory)
- Ian McConnell (Mishra Lab): Cerebral and Spinal Injections For Neuromodulatory Experiments in Rodents (Hoon Lab, NIH)
- 2:05 Faculty Presentation – Churchill Wang (CALS): Reproductive Aging and Women’s Health
2:15-3:00 Poster Session Group 2
3:00-3:45 Education: YSP & SIRI Student Highlights
- 3:00 Education Programs Overview – Ashley Brown (COE) & Jessica Gluck (WCOT)
- 3:10 Student Project Highlights
- Emma Norris, Adele Moatti & Haven Roberts (Greenbaum Lab): Therapeutic extracellular vesicles as efficacious drug delivery vehicles to the inner ear
- Alexa Keyvenhoven, Shannon Connard & Sanika Pandit (Brown Lab): Optimization of fibrin-based nanoparticles as a novel delivery method for equine bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells
- Isaiah Stevens (Olufsen Lab): Modeling Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypotension (CTEPH) Using 1D Fluid Dynamics Simulations
3:45-4:00 Coffee Break
4:00-4:30 Award Presentation & Provost Remarks – Provost Warwick Arden & Jorge Piedrahita
4:30-4:45 Poster Competition Awards & Closing
4:45-5:00 Poster Breakdown
Interested in more program project details?
Sign up below if you would like to continue the discussion with Dr. Mark Dewhirst over lunch following his presentation. The lunch hour has been divided into two sections, lunch and dessert, to allow more people to engage in the discussion.
All CMI Members & Associate Members are invited to present a poster. Sign up by Monday, August 14th if you would like to present your work using the link below.
SIRI, U-TEAM & Beckman Undergraduates are required to participate in the poster competition. Other undergraduate trainees are strongly encouraged to participate as well, but are not required.
Questions? Email Sarah O’Connor (email@example.com)